Meditation is a technique that we can use at any time and place to quieten the mind and restore peace and harmony within ourselves. By relaxing our mind through meditation, we can clear the chatter for a time and experience a renewed sense of energy. However, many people who begin a meditation routine prefer to integrate spiritual aspects into their meditation practices. For these people, spiritual meditation is a wonderful way to strengthen the connection between the human mind and divine wisdom.
The following are some benefits of meditation:
- Improved hearing and mental performance
- Improved memory and concentration
- Improvements in psychosomatic and stress related disorders
- Improvement in heart disease
- Minimise nose, throat and lung problems
- Increased muscular tone and flexibility
- Posture gets corrected, allowing deep breathing
- Strengthening of the nervous system
- Bringing normalcy to the glandular secretions of the endocrine system
- Opening of the chakras, rendering you more loving and open to others
- Deep relaxation and spontaneous healing
Spiritual Meditation Techniques
One of the most common techniques used in spiritual meditation is the use of breathing meditation. To use this technique, simply sit in a comfortable meditation position (many practitioners prefer to use the lotus position, in which the legs are crossed and the back is held straight). Then, close your eyes, and slowly breathe in as deeply as possible.
As you inhale, visualize divine energy flowing toward you and permeating your physical body. Hold the breath for a few seconds and then exhale slowly; imagine all of your stress and mundane thoughts of your daily life released from you with your breath. Repeating this meditation technique will allow you to open up to divine energy, and greatly improve the benefits you receive from your meditation practice.
Reciting a chant or prayer during spiritual meditation will also serve to strengthen your connection to the divine. The rhythmic, repetitive nature of short chants and prayers allows your mind to drift into a meditative state, and improves your ability to access the divine wisdom.